Packing and moving your possessions and family to a new location can be stressful. Many individuals find that hiring a professional moving service can alleviate much of this stress. However, even with the pros at your side, it's best to have a plan, so let the moving experts at Preferred Moving and Storage explain all the steps you need to take for a successful relocation.
Preparing to Move
Whether or not you work with a professional moving company, you can make your move easier on your entire family by making the proper preparations before moving day arrives.
Before you plan to move, you should:
- Find a Place to Live: Plan on visiting your new city at least once before you're ready to move. Spending time in your new city will give you the chance to learn more about the specific neighborhoods and will give you the opportunity to confirm that your new house or apartment has all the basic services your family will need.
- Hire a Moving Company: Doing a little research will allow you to find a reputable moving company that can meet all your needs and can safely deliver your belongings to your new home.
- Make an Inventory of Important Belongings: making a list of your valuable items will allow you and your moving team to keep better track of things as they are transported. In addition, this is a wonderful time to take stock of your possessions and de-cluttering before everything gets packed up. Finally, be sure you gather all your important documents so they can all be packed and moved separately.
- Prepare a Box of Essentials: By packing one (or more) boxes filled with the items you anticipate needing immediately, you can prevent needing to search for the basics once you arrive at your destination. Be sure to include any toiletries, medications, first aid items, and spare chargers for all your electronic items. Finally, if you have small children or family members with special care needs, pack a separate box or bag so you can have quick, easy access to everything.
- Make Arrangements with Your Utility Companies: Take some time to ensure that your new home will have all the services you need once you arrive. You should also review your current accounts and close any accounts that will not be transferred to your new residence.
On Moving Day
Once the moving truck arrives at your new home, there are a few more important tasks to complete, including:
- Checking the Appliances: Before installing your appliances, ensure they were not damaged during transit. Also, check to see that each appliance is plugged in and working.
- Unloading the Moving Truck: When moving into a new home, unload the moving truck room by room to better organize items before unpacking.
- Unpacking Your Possessions: It is best to unpack rooms in the order of their importance. Typically, this means packing and unpacking your kitchen and bedrooms first.
Let Our Experts Help You Relocate
Since 1983, the professional home movers at Preferred Moving & Storage have helped southeastern Michigan residents with their local and long-distance relocation needs. We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and we are a Moving and Storage Association-certified ProMover and an agent of Wheaton Vanlines.
If you're ready to start planning your next southeastern Michigan move, call our residential moving company or use our easy online form to schedule your complimentary in-home consultation.
Subscribe to Preferred Moving & Storage's Blog